Ugly Details Emerge From Fight At Maryland’s Practice

first_imgA general view of Maryland's football stadium.COLLEGE PARK, MD – NOVEMBER 03: A general view of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets and Maryland Terrapins game at Byrd Stadium on November 3, 2012 in College Park, Maryland. (Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images)On Wednesday afternoon, Maryland reversed its decision to reinstate head football coach DJ Durkin after severe outside pressure and angst from the university’s students. Maryland relieved Durkin of his head coaching duties following the death of offensive lineman Jordan McNair.That’s just the start of Maryland’s issues from Wednesday.According to a report from Wednesday, there was a fight between two Maryland players during practice. Initial details of the incident failed to determine who the players were that fought and how the altercation started in the first place.On Thursday afternoon, the Baltimore Sun revealed the ugly details. According to the report, backup punter Matthew Barber, who has spoken out against the culture of the program, says he was assaulted by another member of the team who was pro-DJ Durkin.Barber said some of the members on the team treated him as a “whistle-blower” who spoke with investigators during the investigation into the program’s culture. The details of the alleged incident are rough.Toward the end of the practice, another player attacked Barber, attempting to punch him in the face, Barber said. While the two teammates were fighting, others tried to intervene and grabbed Barber’s arms behind his back, he said. That allowed the other player to punch Barber repeatedly in the face, leaving him with a black eye, needing multiple stitches on his forehead and a dislocated shoulder, Barber said.“My jersey was bloody,” Barber says. “I had blood all over my hands.”Not long after the alleged incident took place, Maryland fired head coach DJ Durkin, though the fight is not believed to have had an impact on the university’s decision.Barber revealed he was treated by athletic training staff and spoke with campus police about the incident.[Baltimore Sun]last_img read more