Sunday Update: Beaches Closed at 55th and 56th Streets

first_imgA Sahara-like scene at 48th Street, where beach replenishment work was just completed. As of Sunday, Aug. 30, Crews have removed the pipeline from that part of the beach in Ocean City, NJ. Check OCNJ Daily for updates and photos of the Ocean City beach replenishment project for 2015 in the south end between 37th and 59th Streets.DATE: Sunday, August 30The beach entrance at 55th Street is closed, and that’s where sand-pumping operations are focused as of Sunday, Aug. 30.PROGRESS: As of Sunday at dusk, the beaches at 55th Street and 56th Street are close as the south end beach replenishment project moves into its final phase.Beaches between 37th Street and 54th Street are now complete, and the pipeline feeding that part of the project has been removed. Some equipment remained in a small cordoned-off area on the beach at 48th Street.About 907,000 cubic yards (62 percent of the total project) have been placed on Ocean City beaches so far.WHAT’S NEXT: Another 550,000 cubic yards (the other 38 percent) will be reserved for the area between 55th Street and 59th Street alone. That work is expected to include about 22 days of sand-pumping, which would push the completion of the project into mid- to late-September. Dune crossover work would follow. And the planting of dune grass is scheduled for November.READ MORE: Ocean City NJ Beach Replenishment 2015 Daily UpdateFOR DAILY UPDATES by E-MAIL: Sign up for freelast_img read more