NOTTINGHAM, England, (CMC) – Reigning world champions Australia will hold no terrors for a confident West Indies, when the two teams clash at Trent Bridge in their second outings in the ICC World Cup here Thursday.The last time the two teams met in a One-Day International three years ago, West Indies went down by 58 runs in the final of a Tri-Nations Series in the Caribbean involving South Africa.West Indies also came off the worse in the last bilateral series six years ago Down Under, suffering a heavy 5-0 whitewash but head coach Floyd Reifer says West Indies would be taking a “fearless” approach to the upcoming contest.We are not worried about them, we’re just focussed on our game,” Reifer said here Monday.“We’re focussed on playing our brand of cricket. These set of guys are creating the brand of cricket they want to play which is an aggressive, smart, confident, fearless cricket and that’s the brand we’re continuing to play no matter what who is the opposition.”West Indies sent a strong warning to opposing teams when they crushed Pakistan in their opening game here last Friday. Bowling with pace and hostility, they bundled out the Asian side for 105 and then raced to their target inside 14 overs.Australia, meanwhile, chased down Afghanistan’s 208 in Bristol to make a comfortable start to their title defence last weekend.Reifer said despite the opening win, his side were remaining grounded, focussing more on their execution than thinking about results.“We’re taking it one game at a time. Like I said, we’re not under any pressure. We’re just enjoying our cricket and focussing on playing the brand of cricket that we want to play,” the former West Indies captain explained.“We’re focussing on restoring the pride in West Indies cricket so we have our reasons, we have our purpose for being here and we’re just taking it one game at a time. At the end of the day we’ll be there July 14 [in the final].”Reifer said West Indies’ performance against Pakistan had been a pleasing one, especially with the team producing a clinical effort in the bowling and fielding departments.“The performance was very good. What was really good about it is that the guys went out there and executed the plans,” he pointed out.“I thought we bowled aggressively, we stuck to our plans. The spell that (Andre) Russell bowled was the game-changing spell. I thought he bowled really fast and put the Pakistan batsmen on the back foot.“Oshane Thomas bowled some quick balls as well. He came in and kind of polished off the job but all in all it was a very good team performance.”He continued: “In the field as well, we fielded well. The guys had a lot of energy in the field, the attitude to the fielding was there and all in all I thought it was a very good performance by the team.”
School of Dramatic Arts Dean David Bridel has resigned from his position after a 2009 relationship with a BFA acting senior while Bridel was on SDA faculty was revealed during a town hall Wednesday with faculty, current students and alumni of the MFA in Acting program. Bridel wrote in an email to faculty that his relationship with the student — which he said lasted weeks and ended “amicably” — was characterized by an alumna at the town hall in a “grossly inaccurate” manner. Bridel worked as SDA’s dean for five years prior to his resignation and was on faculty for 10 years before that. In his letter to SDA faculty, Bridel lauded the School’s accomplishments in developing new initiatives and programs geared toward the Institute for Theatre & Social Change; Musical Theatre; Equity, Diversity and Inclusion; bachelor’s in theatre, acting emphasis; and Career Center. “We are grateful to Dean Daley for taking on this additional role and we are confident that the School will continue on its positive trajectory,” the University said in a separate statement. Ana Mata contributed to this report. In a statement to the SDA community, Provost Charles Zukoski accepted Bridel’s resignation and relayed that the University is looking further into the matter. Elizabeth Daley will take over as SDA’s interim dean in addition to her current role as dean of the School of Cinematic Arts. “I am humbled by your achievements as faculty and staff during the five years that I have been fortunate to work with you in this program,” Bridel wrote in the email. “Your expertise and courage in the pursuit of excellence are an inspiration to USC and our discipline at large. I trust that the good work will continue unabated.” “I fully accept, however, that my behavior in 2009 demonstrated a failure in judgment and evidence of irresponsibility,” Bridel wrote. “I apologize, profusely, for any harm I caused by my conduct in 2009. At this time, I believe that the good health of the School and its future progress will be best served by a leader whose background is not tainted in this way.”
Councilman Kevin Birdsall, who took office in January, said before the election that he was not in favor of a more restrictive noise law and that he was against the discussed noise ordinance that would limit noise levels after 10 p.m. “It’s always been a fun shore town and had the energy of outdoors,” he said.With a stricter noise law, “The police force would be doing nothing but noise complaints all summer,” he said. The town has a land mass of a little over 1 square mile, with 22 liquor licenses, according to Birdsall.In regard to complaints about loud talking on porches and yards, Birdsall worried “you could have one uncle who visits you for the weekend, he happens to talk very loud,” and a neighbor has filed a complaint. He feared the situation could pit people against each other like “the Hatfields and McCoys.”“You don’t want that,” he said. “Talk to your neighbors,” Birdsall counseled.Birdsall said he wanted to discuss proposals for the new regulations with Councilman Marc Leckstein, who had been researching changes to make to the ordinance. “I just like to get my two cents in,” he said.Verunni said the council was working towards having the new regulations in place for the summer when the majority of the complaints are made.“It’s not an easy problem to deal with,” he said.He said Belmar, Manasquan and Asbury Park had been facing the problem for years.Complaints about noise aren’t solely from individuals about individuals either. Excessive noise has played a large role in recent applications before the town’s Unified Planning Board. By Liz SheehanSEA BRIGHT – The Borough Council is working on changing the noise ordinance in the town but has not yet reached a consensus on what changes should be made.“It’s tough to find a good balance,” Borough Administrator Joseph Verruni said.When a complaint is made under the present ordinance, violations are determined by the police using decibel measuring devices. These devices can measure music and amplified voices, but they do not register non-amplified voices, Verruni said. Conversations are a frequent source of complaint – especially those of people who congregate around places where liquor is sold.Verruni said there is no general agreement among council members over what a new ordinance should contain. “We’re really in the formative process of what works best for our town,” he said.Complaints are not limited to gatherings at commercial establishments, he said. Some complaints have been made by residents who are unhappy overhearing the loud voices of neighbors on decks or porches late in the night.Under discussion, he said, is a change to the procedure of how complaints are handled. Residents would first call police and, if the police do not decide to file a violation of the ordinance, the resident “takes the next step.” That would mean, Verruni explained, the resident would take the case to municipal court.Some council members fear that would turn neighbor against neighbor in their small town, Verruni said.Also being discussed is what time the noise restrictions would go into effect and if they would be adjusted for weekends. Residents of the Nautilus, a condominium adjacent to Tommy’s Tavern + Tap are opposing granting the restaurant permission to place a bocce court and corn toss games behind the building, saying the noise generated by the games had been excessive.There have been several hearings on the application. A continued hearing on the application will be held in March.A resident tried to block an application to rebuild The Mad Hatter, destroyed by Super Storm Sandy, citing that the new building would generate more noise than the original. The board recently granted the restaurant permission to rebuild, but the matter is being appealed.
Warriors’ forward Draymond Green will sit out Friday’s game against the Jazz in Utah, with the team citing rest. Rookie forward Eric Paschall is listed as doubtful as he heals from lingering hip soreness.Green, who has missed nine games this season with various injuries to his back, finger and heel, played 39 minutes in the Warriors’ overtime loss to the Knicks on Wednesday. The Warriors plan to strategically rest Green this season as they monitor his workload. In 17 games this season, Green …
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest No change in the forecast this morning. A cold front finally leaves the eastern part of the state today, and we should start to see some clearing work in from west to east. It may take into mid or late afternoon for everything to completely break up and leave eastern Ohio, but better weather is coming. We will be cooler today behind the cold front, and winds stay strong for a good chunk of the day. As a matter of fact, winds may be the biggest issue in the forecast todayTomorrow and Thursday turn out partly to mostly sunny. We can see a few more clouds in far northern Ohio, thanks to wrap around clouds and light moisture around the Low as it moves through the Great Lakes into Ontario tomorrow. Thursday should feature full sun in most areas. Friday, a weak frontal boundary seems to fall apart as it moves in. We will allow a few hundredths to a tenth over 40% of Ohio, but generally think just a few more clouds around on Friday. Saturday will start with sunshine but clouds will build.We still have moisture in the forecast to finish the weekend, but models disagree on timing and intensity of action. Right now we are going to keep rains at .25″-1″ for a relatively long window from Saturday late afternoon through Sunday. But, realistically, we think that precipitation will be confined to a smaller window than that…timing is just uncertain. The European model is likely a little over done with heavy moisture coming up from the south.Next week features a dry window from Monday through Wednesday. Another strong system is likely toward the end of the 10 day window next Wednesday night and Thursday, with rain potential again at .25″-.1″, and potential for thunderstorms boosting that upper rain boundary. That means we have 10 day rain totals from half to 2″ for a large part of the state, thanks to 2 strong systems and a more active pattern (map below)
Continue to explore some of the most engaging geocaches around the globe. Check out all the Geocaches of the Week on the Geocaching blog.If you would like to nominate a Geocache of the Week, leave a comment below with the name of the geocache, the GC code, and why you think we should feature it.Extra special shoutout to Lord Stirling for the recommending this geocache for Geocache of the Week!Share with your Friends:More The entrance to the tunnels. There may or may not be zombies inside. Photo by geocacher DeadColdHandsGeocache Name:Manunka Chunk Tunnels (GC82B5)Difficulty/Terrain Rating:3/3Why this is the Geocache of the Week:As the end of October nears and Halloween draws close, the air has a certain chill to it. The trees turn into skeletons of their former selves. At least, for me, Halloween is one of the best times of year and always puts me in the mood to visit spooky or haunted places. The Manunka Chunk Tunnels in New Jersey have been abandoned since sometime in the early 1900s—well, let me clarify: abandoned from their intended use. Intrepid urban explorers and geocachers have been visiting these tunnels for years. In order to earn your smiley, you’ll have to summon loads of bravery, don a sturdy pair of mud-proof boots and journey through darkness. Sounds like a perfect fall adventure to me!# of Finds:353# of Favorite Points:117, which makes it the most favorited geocache in New Jersey.What geocachers are saying:“Manunka Chunk Tunnels” still the most memorable and amazing cache we’ve ever found!” – The Brigadier“This was, by far one of my favorite caches to date.” – pumpkinking27“Great cache! Awesome place!” – cuteynewtRead More LogsPhotos:Click to see all of the photo logs. Inside the tunnel. Try not to get too creeped out! Photo by geocacher doug-upA brave crew of geocachers after making the find. Photo by geocacher TeamBandNWhat’s the spookiest place a geocache has ever taken you? Tell us in the comments. The final stretch of the tunnel. Photo by geocacher doug-up SharePrint RelatedLa ferrovia Fantasma – The ghost railwayApril 5, 2017In “Geocache of the Week”The Geocaching Vlogger — InterviewSeptember 20, 2018In “Community”Cooking Up a Good Find — KochBuchCache (GC21148) — Geocache of the WeekOctober 16, 2013In “Community”
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Kante proves Chelsea matchwinner at Crystal Palaceby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveN’Golo Kante proved Chelsea’s matchwinner on Sunday as they moved back into the top four with victory at Crystal Palace.Kante scored the only goal of the game in the 51st minute when he broke forward from midfield to convert David Luiz’s throughball.There were few clear-cut chances as the Blues dominated possession and Palace sat back hoping to catch the opposition on the counter-attack – a tactic which failed to work as Roy Hodgson’s Eagles took 85 minutes to register their first effort at goal.Chelsea’s Willian came close to scoring with a free-kick that struck the post, and Ross Barkley also hit the woodwork with a hooked effort.The Blues have 43 points, one behind City and two behind Spurs. Palace remain in 14th with 19 points.
TagsTransfersAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Mkhitaryan faces exit if Arsenal complete move for Denis Suarezby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveArsenal’s move for Barcelona midfielder Denis Suarez could force Henrikh Mkhitaryan to leave the Emirates.The Armenian international, who is currently sidelined with a foot injury, has failed to impress since joining from Manchester United last January. And The Sun claims the Gunners are ready to sell Mkhitaryan in order to make room for Suarez.The 25-year-old is believed to be on the verge of joining the north London club, having previously worked with manager Unai Emery at Sevilla.Suarez, who started his career at Manchester City, has played 17 minutes of league football this season.
PISCATAWAY, NJ – OCTOBER 24: Braxton Miller #1 of the Ohio State Buckeyes during warmups before a game against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights at High Point Solutions Stadium on October 24, 2015 in Piscataway, New Jersey. (Photo by Rich Schultz /Getty Images) Twitter/@StephDEpifanioSports Illustrated dropped a late news bomb on the college football world earlier, with the news that Braxton Miller will be moving to wide recevier/h-back for the coming season. The move has been met with praise from Buckeye fans, and members of the team. One key member of the program isn’t ready to fully commit to the move, however: head coach Urban Meyer. The three-time national champion told The Columbus Dispatch that reports of the official position change are a bit premature.“I haven’t made those decisions yet,” Meyer told The Dispatch. “It’s a little bit jumping the gun here. Braxton came to see me. He’s been talking to me about it (the switch). We’ve been working at it, but I’m not ready to say exactly how we’re going to use him yet.”Considering Pete Thamel’s SI report was based on a conversation with Miller, we have to imagine the move is, in fact, happening. Meyer is probably not thrilled that it was announced in July, giving Virginia Tech and others more than a month to prep for a J.T. Barrett or Cardale Jones-led offense, as well as figure out how to defend Miller as a skill guy. Otherwise, this would be a pretty crazy redirection by members of the Buckeye program.[Columbus Dispatch]
Raigad (Maharashtra): Authorities here on Friday carried out a controlled blast to raze the luxurious beach bungalow of absconding diamantaire Nirav Modi, one of the prime accused in the Punjab National Bank scam, official sources said. Over 100 dynamite sticks were strategically placed within and outside the bungalow near Kihim beach, and the blast took place at 11.15 a.m. amidst tight security, said an eyewitness from the site. Few days ago, detonators were fixed at various points on the bungalow – located around 110 km from Mumbai – to carry out the ‘implosion’ and bring it down in a single-shot. Also Read – IAF Day: Tributes paid to soldiers killed in line of duty in Jammu With the complete structure razed to the ground, labourers will now start the work of removing the debris from the venue over the next couple of weeks. On January 25, the Collectorate had initiated the demolition process using traditional methods of bulldozers, excavators and other such manually-operated equipment, but it proved to be a slow and tedious process. Attached by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) in December 2018, the bungalow was stripped off all its valuables, art works, paintings and other expensive items. All glass structures were removed to enable the controlled blasting. Also Read – Shashi Tharoor writes to PM Modi: Don’t let your ‘mann ki baat’ become ‘maun ki baat’ Modi, along with his uncle Mehul Choksi and others, are the prime accused and fugitives in the Rs 14,000-crore Punjab National Bank (PNB) fraud admitted in February 2018. Though the Alibag bungalow was not directly linked with the PNB scam, it was attached by the ED along with his known assets in Maharashtra, Gujarat and other places in an effort to recover a part of the dues from Modi. Built in 2009-2010, on a 70,000 square feet plot, the 33,000 square feet bungalow with several bedrooms is accessible through a long driveway, protected by high metal fencing and a huge security gate, and was noted for lavish parties hosted here regularly. The demolition process followed orders of the Bombay High Court in a Public Interest Litigation filed by NGO Shamburaje Yuva Kranti (SYK), seeking action against various illegal bungalows, hotels and resorts violating the high tide and low tide zones in tiny villages dotting the beaches of Raigad. SYK state chief Surendra Dhavale said that so far 10 bungalows have been demolished in the past few months, and now Modi’s bungalow was razed, with at least another four dozen on the Collector’s demolition list. “The claimed value of the (Modi) property is cited as Rs 13 crore, but given the current market rates, this bungalow is worth over Rs 100 crore,” Dhavale told IANS. Besides, Choksi – now a citizen of Antigua & Barbuda, many celebrities, industrialists, top businessmen, film and television personalities own big and small properties on this picturesque stretch of central coastal Konkan region, barely an hour’s boat ride from the mainland at Gateway of India.