Great photographs from The Great War

first_imgTwitter NewsGreat photographs from The Great WarBy Rose Rushe – June 17, 2015 1224 Previous article€100 million investment for Vistakon in PlasseyNext articleFilm Trilogy’s last shoot for July Rose Rushehttp://www.limerickpost.ieCommercial Features and Arts Editor at Limerick Post Facebook WhatsApp Printcenter_img Ypres WW1 Battlefield Cavalry transporting artillery shells through muddy terrainAN exhibition by pioneering Irish photographer Fr Francis Browne depicting the lives of soldiers on battlefields of the First World War will be launched by Kevin Myers at Hunt Museum on Thursday, July 9, 6pm.This will be followed on Friday July 10 at 1pm by Myers, authority on WWI, giving a talk on ‘Fr Browne, Limerick and Ireland’s Great War’. No. 69 O’Connell Street is venue.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Speaking of the priest who took the last photographs on board Titanic and later served as army chaplain, winning the Military Cross with the Irish Guards, Myers said that he “came from a Cork merchant family, longstanding grandees who had lots of money. This enabled them to spend a fortune on photographs and photography collections, which was a very expensive business then”.Fr Francis Browne was awarded the Military Cross while army chaplain“Fr Browne had the most uncanny eye and he was a genius behind the camera. He had a wonderful sense of life, sense of perspective and his work looks as if he had been painting”.“He was an Irish man, a warrior, a Jesuit and much loved by his men. His other great ability was to conjure a work of art out of nothing”.Upwards of 5,000 photographs have survived; some 38 will exhibit in Limerick, in collaboration with Cavan County Museum. Email Linkedin Advertisementlast_img read more

Tours, admissions sessions canceled through April

first_imgWhile there have been no confirmed cases of coronavirus at USC, the University will continue to monitor the situation as it develops across Los Angeles County and internationally. L.A. County reported the first coronavirus-related death Wednesday after confirming the first instance of community spread of the virus Monday. Last week, the county declared a public health emergency and the total number of confirmed cases has since risen to 29 at time of publication.  The cancellation follows the University’s decision to cancel or postpone most USC-sponsored events on and off campus through the end of the first week after spring break. The period of remote instruction was extended by two weeks; however the University has not said how this will affect events. As of now, USC campus tours and programmings are scheduled to resume April 14. “While we don’t like turning away visitors, there will be ample opportunity for prospective students to visit USC in the future — well in advance of the next cycle’s application deadlines,” Brunold said. “USC tours and campus visit programs are regularly offered year-round, and this temporary stoppage represents a relatively small percentage of our annual capacity.”center_img Admission ambassadors will continue to be employed during the period but will likely see a temporary reduction in hours due to reduced workload, Brunold said in the email. Students will continue to answer phones and perform administrative tasks. All USC-guided campus tours and admissions sessions have been canceled through April 14, Dean of Admission Tim Brunold confirmed to the Daily Trojan in an email Wednesday. Online programming will be available for newly admitted students before the enrollment commitment on May 1, Brunold said. last_img read more