‘ACTION PLAN’ VS OIL SPILL ON A ROLL

first_img* completion of the oil spill cleanup and ensuring that water quality is restored to safe levels AC Energy Philippines says it is committed to continue cooperating with government agencies to ensure that the oil spill cleanup is completed soon, and that the needs of the affected communities are provided for. Photo shows the water around Power Barge 102 in Barangay Bo. Obrero, Lapuz, Iloilo City looking clearer as the oil spill cleanup goes on. PHOTO FROM AC ENERGY * proper collection and disposal of oil contaminated materials and wastes AC Energy also said it will take into account comments and other recommendations from said units and agencies to better address the emergency. It focuses on the detailed plans of the company and the relevant timeline for the implementation of such plans in relation to the key areas which the DENR-EMB highlighted during a technical conference Wednesday last week. The key areas include the following: “With respect to news reports released on Saturday regarding the filing by the PCG of a criminal complaint against the company and its officers for alleged violation of Section 107 of Republic Act 8550 (The Philippine Fisheries Code of 1998) as amended by Republic Act 10654 for aquatic pollution, the company has not received a copy of such complaint yet and is thus unable to make any specific comment at this time,” it clarified.  AC Energy Philippines, owner of Power Barge 102 that accidentally spilled bunker fuel into the coast of Iloilo City due to still undetermined causes, submitted the EMP to the Department of Environment and Natural Resources’ (DENR) Environmental Management Bureau (EMB).center_img ILOILO City – An environment management plan (EMP) addressing the environmental impact of the oil spill following an explosion from a power barge in Barangay Bo. Obrero, Lapuz district on July 3 is on a roll. * rehabilitation plan for the affected mangrove areas and fisheries * continued monitoring of air quality and ensuring that air quality is safe before affected families are allowed to return to their homes “Even with the submission of the EMP to the DENR-EMB, we will continue to work closely and coordinate with the DENR, as well as with various government bodies and agencies, including the local governments of Iloilo City and Guimaras, as well as the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) to implement the EMP,” according to AC Energy in a statement. AC Energy also underscored that even with the filing of the case, it is committed to continue cooperating in good faith with the PCG and other government units and agencies to ensure that the oil spill cleanup is done properly and completed soon, and that the needs of the affected communities and groups are provided for. “With the submission of the EMP and the various cleanup activities we organized in coordination with industry and local government partners and the community assistance that it provided since the oil spill started, the company hopes to have demonstrated its serious commitment to do what is right for the affected communities and the environment, including to address the findings of aquatic pollution by the PCG,” it further noted./PNlast_img read more

Mannone sounds Westwood warning

first_imgNew Sunderland goalkeeper Vito Mannone has warned Keiren Westwood he did not join the club to sit on the bench. Press Association Mannone added: “We live in a world of competition. I will work and do my best to be in the first eleven, and then the manager will decide. All I can do is try to show what I am capable of.” Both men have big boots to fill with Belgium international Mignolet having earned a £9million move to Liverpool with consistently excellent performances during his time at the Stadium of Light. Westwood is desperate to regain his international place with Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni having turned to Millwall’s David Forde because of his lack of club football, and that will provide him with an added incentive to make the most of Mignolet’s departure. However, Mannone is viewing his arrival on Wearside as a chance to fulfil the potential which persuaded Arsene Wenger to take him to north London, and he is confident Sunderland can give him the platform to do just that. He said: “The potential [of the club] is incredible. I have come from a big club but to be honest, I don’t see any difference in the facilities. From what I can see on my first day, they are brilliant. To have good facilities where you can work and improve is something every club wants to achieve. “The base is there and I am really happy to be here. I waited a long time for an opportunity like Sunderland, and for me it is a great one. I’m very excited. I am here to work hard and to show what I can do.” Mannone follows Valentin Roberge, Modibo Diakite, Cabral, David Moberg Karlsson and Duncan Watmore into the club with the Black Cats’ summer recruitment drive showing little sign of abating. center_img The 25-year-old Italian becomes the latest man to accept compatriot Paolo Di Canio’s offer of employment on Wearside as the manager moved to replace the departed Simon Mignolet. Mannone, who joined Arsenal from Atalanta as a 17-year-old, has signed a two-year deal for an undisclosed fee, understood to be around £2million. However, having made just 26 senior appearances in eight years with the Gunners, the former Italy Under-21 international wants regular football, and that means a battle with Republic of Ireland international Westwood. He told the club’s official website: “Of course, every player knows they have competition.” last_img read more