While there have been no confirmed cases of coronavirus at USC, the University will continue to monitor the situation as it develops across Los Angeles County and internationally. L.A. County reported the first coronavirus-related death Wednesday after confirming the first instance of community spread of the virus Monday. Last week, the county declared a public health emergency and the total number of confirmed cases has since risen to 29 at time of publication. The cancellation follows the University’s decision to cancel or postpone most USC-sponsored events on and off campus through the end of the first week after spring break. The period of remote instruction was extended by two weeks; however the University has not said how this will affect events. As of now, USC campus tours and programmings are scheduled to resume April 14. “While we don’t like turning away visitors, there will be ample opportunity for prospective students to visit USC in the future — well in advance of the next cycle’s application deadlines,” Brunold said. “USC tours and campus visit programs are regularly offered year-round, and this temporary stoppage represents a relatively small percentage of our annual capacity.” Admission ambassadors will continue to be employed during the period but will likely see a temporary reduction in hours due to reduced workload, Brunold said in the email. Students will continue to answer phones and perform administrative tasks. All USC-guided campus tours and admissions sessions have been canceled through April 14, Dean of Admission Tim Brunold confirmed to the Daily Trojan in an email Wednesday. Online programming will be available for newly admitted students before the enrollment commitment on May 1, Brunold said.
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisLANSING, Mich. – With less than a week remaining before the August 4 statewide primary, voters with absentee ballots are reminded to mail them immediately or drop them off at their local drop box or clerk’s office as soon as possible.Under Michigan law, all ballots must be received in your clerk’s office by 8 p.m. on Aug. 4 in order to be counted. Voters may only return their ballot to the drop box of their city or township.A list of ballot drop boxes is available online at www.Michigan.gov.The Michigan Secretary of State’s office says the absent voter ballot continues to climb with more than 900,000 ballots already returned. AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisContinue ReadingPrevious Michigan State Police hosts virtual recruitingNext Alpena man charged with multiple counts of criminal sexual conduct
The eleven persons who were killed during the Lusignan massacre 11 years ago were on Saturday remembered as the Indian Action Committee coordinated the annual commemoration activity within the community.In the very street where the horrific night unfolded, loved ones along with members of the community, religious leaders and representatives of both the Government and the Opposition shared their sincerest solicitudeBehind a memorial arch which serves as a reminder, former Chairman of the Ethnic Relations Commission and People’s Progressive Party Member of Parliament, Juan Edghill explained that he is still aggrieved upon reminiscing on the lives that were lost.He recalled that Guyanese from all walks of life would have rendered their solidarity and support towards the families of the victims. He also advocated for citizens to preserve that “oneness” among their fellow people as was seen during that period.“I would like to remind all of Guyana that out of evil sometimes cometh good. The good of that coming together at that time must not be list but never again must our coming together be because of such a terrible act,” he posited.Sentiments were also shared by former Education Minister, Priya Manickchand who provided a detailed description of the community hours after the unfortunate event when she would have visited.She noted that while counselling was provided for relatives of the victims, some are yet to heal emotionally from their anguishes.“What happened in Lusignan shook this entire country…In the weeks that followed, there was also that looking after for each other as God’s children. It was not the families only of the persons who had lost loved ones, it was the entire community,” Manickchand expressed.Communities Minister, Ronald Bulkan was also invited to present his remarks as he stated, “Let us teach and inspire our children to embrace and respect each other. Let us, as all the holy books admonishes, that we seek to promote reconciliation and healing of past wounds. To the bereaved families, we do understand that the pain of losing your loved ones in such a tragic manner will always be with you.”The Ethnic Relation Commission was represented by Commissioner Rajkumarie Singh who recognised the dawning of yet another anniversary which distances the incident from the present.However, her advice to the affected families was, “You would have come a far way and many would have given you the support to remain sane and calm. As we gather to pray and express love and kind thoughts, it would certainly help those souls wherever they are.”At the culmination of the solemn service, prayers and recitations echoed from the various holy books as religious leaders offered citations for the departed victims.The massacre unfolded in the wee hours of that January 26, 2008, morning when five children and six adults lost their lives as gunmen invaded their street and carried out the heartless attack in less than one hour. Arming themselves with weapons and high-profile guns, they murdered 48-year-old Clarence Thomas, 12-year-old Vanessa Thomas, 11-year-old Ron Thomas, 32-year-old Mohandan Goordat, 10-year-old Seegopaul Harilall, Seegobin Harilall, 52-year-old Dhanwajie Ramsingh, 56-year-old Seecharran Rooplall, 11-year-old Raywattie Ramsingh, 22-year-old Shazam Mohammed and 52-year-old Shaleem Baksh.Those who were injured included 19-year-old Howard Thomas, 48-year-old Nadir Mohamed, and five-year-old Roberto Thomas.Less than two weeks after the massacre, 10 of the victims’ bodies converged at the Lusignan tarmac where they were laid to rest the same day. Mohammed’s family had completed his rites prior due to religious commitments.Days after, another massacre was executed in Bartica, Region Seven (Cuyuni-Mazaruni) which saw the killing of several persons.The motive of the vicious attack is still unclear.