Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger will play ‘experienced team’ against Burnley

first_img “We looked at the specific position of the players who have this kind of qualities, we identified him of having the potential to do it and I think we were right, but now he has to show that.” Wenger added: “He’s not a monster. Usually the middle-eastern people have big stamina, are agile, but lack a bit power sometimes, so he is not a powerhouse, he’s more a mobility player. That is why I think he can suit our game.” Injured duo Jack Wilshere and Santi Cazorla are not expected to be back in contention until the middle of March, but Danny Welbeck has recently returned to full training. Meanwhile, Wenger has confirmed he is set to sign Nigerian duo Kelechi Nwakali, 17 and Samuel Chukwueze, 16. “Talks are progressing well and it should be done this month, ” Wenger added. Arsene Wenger has vowed to send out an experienced side for Arsenal’s FA Cup clash against Burnley, insisting “you don’t win with kids any more”. “I will play quite an experienced team,” Wenger said as his side looked to bounce back from last weekend’s 1-0 defeat against Chelsea at the Emirates Stadium. “First of all, we lost last Sunday and it is important not to drop our confidence level too much. Secondly, we want to do well in the FA Cup and you don’t want to miss an opportunity when you play at home against a Championship team. “You don’t win with kids any more unfortunately, even against the Championship teams. “We went to Sheffield Wednesday in the League Cup and got quite a severe defeat so we have to show we have learned from that.” Petr Cech will be replaced by David Ospina in goal while Francis Coquelin is also in line to make his first start since November after recovering from a knee injury. Alexis Sanchez, who came on as a second-half substitute against Chelsea following a near two-month lay-off, may also play. Egypt international Mohamed Elneny, who signed for the Gunners earlier this month, is poised to make his debut. Elneny won three consecutive Swiss championships with Basle and has played against Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United in the Champions League. “We were the only club interested,” Wenger said of the 23-year-old, who he compared to Aaron Ramsey and Mathieu Flamini. “He was basically not on the radar and not too many people spoke of him. With the Gunners bidding to seal their first Barclays Premier League title since 2004, Wenger may have been tempted to rest a number of his stars. But the Frenchman, who will become the most successful manager in the history of the FA Cup if Arsenal win the famous tournament this season, is set to field a strong starting XI for the visit of the Championship outfit. Press Associationlast_img read more

Marrone, Syracuse quickly shift focus to matchup with Rutgers; Orange prepares to face Big East’s leading rusher

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Three days later, Syracuse head coach Doug Marrone kept his thoughts on his team’s victory over Pittsburgh to a minimum. He was proud of his players on Friday night, but the win didn’t hold any extra weight for his previously struggling program.“I’d rather go back and finish the season before we start putting labels on games,” Marrone said during the Big East coaches’ teleconference on Monday. “Obviously I haven’t done a good job, I haven’t won enough games and I realize that, and our focus is to win today.”Marrone’s focus has already shifted to the team’s matchup with No. 20 Rutgers on Saturday in Piscataway, N.J. The Orange’s win over the Panthers was its first in Big East play since last October. Syracuse’s next challenge will come against a Scarlet Knights team that leads the conference in scoring defense, rushing defense and interceptions.The impressive numbers are not lost on Marrone as he prepares for Saturday.“Well, where should I start?” Marrone said during the teleconference. “I mean, there’s so many different ways. Obviously total defense, the full defense, the rushing defense, the pass efficiency defense, the scoring defense, tackles for loss, the turnover margin obviously is huge; they’re seventh in the country.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textRutgers ranks second in the country with 10 interceptions, returning two for touchdowns. And as the statistics show, the unit has limited its opponents on the ground and through the air en route to five straight victories to start the season.“Statistically, this is probably the best defense that we’ve faced since we’ve been here,” Marrone said.Jamison to provide challengeFor Marrone, every week has presented a challenge for the rush defense. In its first five games, the Orange faced a talented playmaker in the backfield.This Saturday, the unit will face the conference’s leading rusher in Jawan Jamison.“He’s up there with the kids we just played at Pitt, with the kids that we’ve played in these past couple games,” Marrone said during the teleconference. “He’s truly an outstanding back that’s very difficult to bring down and makes people miss.”Jamison has rushed for 601 yards in five games, an average of 120.2 per game. The sophomore has carried a heavy load for the Scarlet Knights offense, getting 130 touches on the ground, second only to Connecticut’s Lyle McCombs. His effectiveness has complemented Rutgers’ stout defense, taking precious minutes off the clock with his team out in front.Rutgers is second in the Big East in time of possession, controlling the ball for just more than 33 minutes a game. It’s a battle SU lost to Pittsburgh but overcame due to a strong defensive effort.The Orange will need to contain Jamison to pull off the upset on the road — something Marrone knows will be a tough task.“On the offensive side of the football, they do an outstanding job. They’re going to move the football,” Marrone said. “They make big plays and they don’t really give you a lot of opportunity because they burn up so much time.” Comments Published on October 9, 2012 at 2:57 am Contact Ryne: [email protected]last_img read more

Are the Patriots interested in an Antonio Brown return or not?

first_imgWhat’s next for Antonio Brown?According to ProFootballTalk’s Mike Florio, Brown’s camp “expects the league to clear him to return this season.” Brown met with the NFL last week in a meeting that reportedly lasted eight hours. But while Brown’s camp is apparently optimistic about the receiver’s future this season, there are clues suggesting otherwise.ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that “barring a significant turn of events, Brown is not expected to play again this season.” For one, he’s caused a number of headaches in 2019. And two, his legal matter with Britney Taylor is still ongoing. Taylor alleges Brown sexually assaulted and raped her.Even if Brown were to be signed on a team this year, he’d likely be placed on the commissioner’s exempt list, meaning he wouldn’t be allowed to play until he’s off that list. That report came from Christian Fauria on a Boston radio show. Fauria is a former Patriots tight end who played on the team from 2002 to 2005. “I think they have kicked the tires,” Fauria said. “I know there have been discussions. That’s for sure.”MORE: What to know about rape accusation, lawsuit by Brown’s former trainerAre the Patriots interested in Antonio Brown?Fauria’s report was dismissed by a pair of veteran Patriots beat writers later Thursday night. Tom E. Curran of NBC Sports Boston seemed pretty confident through his sources that New England has no interest in bringing Brown back in 2019.From Curran:Two sources with knowledge of the Patriots thinking scoffed at the idea Antonio Brown would rejoin the Patriots this season.When one source was asked if there was a chance the wideout – who was with the Patriots for less than two tumultuous weeks in September – might have a chance at rejoining the team, this was the two-word response.“What’s changed?”Curran added that the Patriots are more concerned about “something else cropping up down the road” with Brown. And Curran’s report isn’t the only one shutting down the idea of Brown returning. The Athletic’s Jeff Howe also says Brown won’t be playing in New England this season.One source told Howe, “If the Patriots were aware of this lawsuit beforehand, they never would have signed Brown in the first place.” Why did Antonio Brown apologize to Robert Kraft?So if Curran and Howe’s reporting is accurate, then why did Brown feel the need to release an apology? Most likely it was just Brown trying to salvage his reputation. It’s unlikely an apology on Twitter and Instagram would have any meaning to Kraft. If Brown was truly sorry, it seems like he’d have the connections to just call him up privately and do so.With a public apology, Brown gets some rare positive coverage surrounding his name, and it looks good to other NFL teams. But, ultimately, it doesn’t mean a whole lot. Free agent receiver Antonio Brown caused a stir this week when he randomly apologized to Patriots owner Robert Kraft.Several Patriots players liked the post on social media, including quarterback Tom Brady. Beacuse of that, and other reasons, people have been speculating about a return to the Patriots. That speculation reached a high point Thursday afternoon when a report came out that New England “kicked the tires” on Brown.last_img read more