Council fined over death of electrician

first_imgCouncil fined over death of electricianOn 27 Feb 2001 in Personnel Today Previous Article Next Article Doncaster Council was fined £400,000 last week after anelectrician died following lapses in health and safety procedures. Michael Seiles, 31, of Wheatley, Doncaster, South Yorkshirehad been called to repair a heating unit in the council’s offices in 1997. Hedied after touching live wires. Council managers knew of the dangers but had not warnedelectricians. The council pleaded guilty at Doncaster Crown Court to offencesunder the Health and Safety Act and was fined £400,000, with £30,000 costs. David Cotton, head of operations at the HSE, whichprosecuted the council, said, “I hope this fine will bring home to allemployers the high price of not properly discharging responsibilities ofensuring the safety of people working on their property.”A council spokesperson said, “Since this incident the localauthority has been working on improving safety procedures, and has placedpriority on electrical safety.” Comments are closed. Related posts:No related photos.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *