Trump namedrops Ronaldo as he discusses gender pay gap

first_imgUnited States president Donald Trump has weighed in on the debate surrounding the gender pay gap in football.In March, 28 members of the U.S. women’s national team filed a gender discrimination lawsuit against US Soccer , citing gaps in pay and resources.The suit is being led by current stars Alex Morgan, Megan Rapinoe, Carli Lloyd and Becky Sauerbrunn, alleging that U.S. Soccer “paid only lip service to gender equality and continues to practice gender-based discrimination against its champion female employees.” Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? This week, an entity of the United Nations used Lionel Messi’s salary to highlight the difference in salaries between the sexes .The Barcelona star makes $84 million per year from his salary, bonuses and commercial deals, which is almost double the combined annual income of the 1,693 female footballers in the top seven leagues, which adds up to $42.6m.”During the Women’s World Cup 2019, join UN Women in demanding equal pay for women in sport,” UN Women said in their message.Trump was asked about the issue this week, but he suggested he did not have enough knowledge of the finer details of the issue to take a position.”I love watching women’s soccer,” he told The Hill . “They’re really talented.”I think a lot of it also has to do with the economics. I mean who draws more, where is the money coming in.”I know that when you have the great stars like [Portugal’s Cristiano] Ronaldo and some of these stars … that get paid a lot of money, but they draw hundreds of thousands of people.”But I haven’t taken a position on that at all. I’d have to look at it.”The USWNT will face tournament hosts France in the quarter-finals of the World Cup after beating Spain 2-1 in the last 16 of the competition on Monday thanks to two penalties by Rapinoe.France, meanwhile, got the better of Brazil in their first knockout match, winning 2-1 in extra-time.last_img read more

Libya UN envoy calls for end to fighting in Benghazi urges political

The Secretary-General’s Special Representative for Libya, Bernardino León, has condemned the escalating hostilities in the country’s eastern city of Benghazi and the heavy toll being felt by the area’s civilians, the United Nations mission in the country confirmed today. In a press release issued earlier this morning, Mr. León, who also heads the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL), deplored the repeated shelling of residential areas in the city while reiterating his belief that “there can be no military solution to the conflict.” The fighting in Libya has provoked a growing displacement crisis within the country with the number of people displaced almost doubling from an estimated 230,000 last September to more than 434,000, according to the UN’s refugee agency. The largest bloc of internally displaced, some 105,000 people, is located in Benghazi, where the UN has been working with the municipality, as well as local and international NGOs to distribute items to some 6,000 of the most vulnerable IDPs between March and June. Meanwhile, the violence is also adding to the mounting list of casualties. This week alone, noted UNSMIL, at least 10 fatalities were reported among civilians in Benghazi including a number of children. “Coming at a time of successful reconciliation and ceasefire efforts at different localities in the country, and as the political dialogue among Libyan stakeholders was making major progress, it is high time for Benghazi which has suffered for too long to enjoy peace,” the UNSMIL press release continued. “A vast majority of the Libyan people want an immediate end to the conflict. The Special Representative reiterates his conviction that a political agreement through dialogue is the best hope for achieving peace across Libya.” Mr. León also reminded all parties that attacks against civilians were prohibited under international humanitarian law and could constitute war crimes. To that point, he called on all parties “to cease immediately all indiscriminate attacks.” read more