Denounce India-Pakistan World Cup match: Cricket Club of India secretary to BCCI

first_imgDenounce India-Pakistan World Cup match: Cricket Club of India secretary to BCCICricket Club of India covered the portrait of Imran Khan in their restaurant hall after the Pulwama terror attack that took the lives of 40 CRPF personnel.advertisement ANI MumbaiFebruary 17, 2019UPDATED: February 17, 2019 17:59 IST Cricket Club of India secretary said “nation come first even before sports”. (Reuters Photo)HIGHLIGHTSCCI secretary Suresh Bafna said Imran Khan should publicly condemn the Pulwama attackCCI covered Imran Khan’s portrait in their restaurant hallBafna said they are discussing how to remove Imran Khan’s portraitIn the wake of ghastly terror attack in Pulwama where 40 CRPF personnel were killed earlier this week, Cricket Club of India (CCI) secretary Suresh Bafna on Sunday said that India should not play a match against Pakistan in the forthcoming World Cup.Speaking to ANI, Suresh said that since Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan has not come out openly about the attack in Kashmir, it shows that they are at fault somewhere.”We condemn the terror activities carried out against our army and CRPF personnel. Though CCI is a sporting association but nation comes first even before sports,” he said.”He [Imran Khan] should respond. He is the Prime Minister and if he believes that Pakistan has no role to play in the attack then why is he not coming out openly. He should come out openly. People should know the truth. He is not coming out openly which means that there are stains in their folds,” Suresh added.After the terror attack, CCI had covered the portrait of Imran Khan at its Brabourne stadium headquarters in Mumbai. The secretary said that the step was their way of condemning the barbaric attack on their security personnel.”We called a meeting on the very next day of the attack and to condemn the attack, we decided to cover the photo. We’ll be deciding soon how to remove the photo,” he said.Imran has twice played for Pakistan against India at the Brabourne Stadium. He had led Pakistan in a festival game against India in 1987. He also played an ODI at the venue when he led Pakistan to victory against Australia in a Nehru Cup Game in 1989, where he was also declared as the Man of the Match.advertisementHours after the attack on February 14, the Pakistan Foreign Ministry issued a wishy-washy statement, terming as “a matter of grave concern” the terror attack on the CRPF convoy which was carried out by Jaish-e-Mohammed outfit based in that country.In the statement, the Pakistan Foreign Ministry said, “We have always condemned acts of violence anywhere in the world.” The Pakistan Foreign Ministry has also been claiming that the link of the attack to it without an investigation was “insinuation.”However, India asserted that the Pakistan Foreign Ministry’s argument was “preposterous when there is a video of the suicide bomber declaring himself a member of the JeM” and there is also “other audio-visual and print material linking JeM to the terrorist attack.”Also Read | 14th February was a black day for India: Sania Mirza on Pulwama terror attackAlso Read | Shikhar Dhawan to donate money to families of CRPF martyrsAlso Read | Pakistan Super League telecast suspended in IndiaFor sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Tags :Follow India vs PakistanFollow 2019 ICC World CupFollow Pulwama terror attackFollow BCCIFollow Cricket Club of Indialast_img read more

Eritreas worsening humanitarian situation threatens 1 million people UN agencies warn

Rainfall has been poor over the past year, placing at risk the food security situation of thousands of farmers and pastoralists who make up most of Eritrea’s working population, according to the report by the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and the UN World Food Programme (WFP). The cereal harvest, which is expected to be 60 per cent below the average of the last 10 years, will cover only about 15 per cent of Eritrea’s food requirement instead of the typical 40 to 50 per cent. The agencies warned that international assistance would be needed to cover a shortfall of 283,000 tons of cereal. “The current poor agricultural season could not have come at a worse time,” the report asserts, because Eritrea is still recovering from a devastating war with Ethiopia. A large number of people, including farmers, are still displaced and thousands of soldiers are yet to be demobilized. In addition, the continuing resettlement of Eritrean refugees returning from Sudan is placing an extra strain on the country’s resources. While stressing the need for outside assistance to meet Eritrea’s extensive emergency needs, the report also acknowledges a risk of people developing an over-reliance on food aid with the expectation that this assistance will be provided on a regular basis. “This is proving destructive to some traditional coping strategies, and creating a vicious cycle that can lead to dependency,” the agencies say. They recommend that emergency food aid “be provided only to those who cannot survive or will become destitute without it.” read more