President Trump Urges Strong Background Checks after Mass Shooting

first_imgPresident Trump says we cannot let those killed in the weekend’s mass shootings in Texas and Ohio die in vain. ….this legislation with desperately needed immigration reform. We must have something good, if not GREAT, come out of these two tragic events!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 5, 2019 Two mass shootings less than 24 hours apart have claimed the lives of 29 people and injured countless more in El Paso, Texas and Dayton, Ohio.President Trump will speak about the two deadly mass shootings at 10:00 this morning. The President said he spoke at length with Attorney General William Barr, FBI Director Christopher Wray and the governors of Texas and Ohio following two mass shootings this weekend.Trump explained this is a mental illness problem and it has to be stopped after going on for years and years.The President offered his condolences to the families impacted in El Paso and Dayton.He also thanked law enforcement for their work, as he said both situations could have been a lot worse.We will carry his remarks live here on 850wftl…After three mass shootings left at least 32 people dead in the span of a week, FBI Director Chris Wray has ordered the agency’s offices across the country to conduct a new threat assessment in effort to thwart mass attacks, law enforcement sources tell CNN https://t.co/7j6t6N5FdR— CNN (@CNN) August 5, 2019 Trump took to Twitter this morning and said bipartisan support is needed for strong background checks when it comes to firearms.He suggested that it could be tied to immigration reform legislation and that something good, if not great, could come out of these tragic events. The FBI has opened a domestic terror investigation into the El Paso shooting.last_img read more

Former PBG Police Officer Nouman Raja Calls Shooting “Justifiable” in Request for New Trial

first_imgFormer Palm Beach Gardens police officer Nouman Raja is requesting a new trial in fatal shooting of stranded motorist Corey Jones nearly five years ago.In so doing, he reportedly is planning to use a dozen reasons to justify the need for another chance to prove his innocence in the courtroom.His primary argument is that the killing was “justifiable” in his job as an officer, a claim the jury never considered during last year’s trial, based on a judge’s ruling.Eric Schwartzreich, a criminal defense attorney in Fort Lauderdale, says Raja’s two felony convictions and 25-year prison sentence could be overturned because of that issue.“It’s a winner-winner, chicken dinner, it’s their ace in the hole,” adds Schwartzreich.Raja’s appellate lawyer began the process last month by submitting a 75-page request to the 4th District Court of Appeal in West Palm Beach. The state Attorney General’s office has several months to respond, although it will likely be another year before a three-judge panel makes a final decision.The 42-year-old Raja is currently being held at a state prison in Ocala, as the first Florida officer in about 30 years to be convicted for an on-duty shooting.Raja and Corey Jones came face to face on the night of Oct. 18, 2015, on a southbound Interstate 95 exit-ramp in Palm Beach Gardens.The 31-year-old Jones was waiting for a tow truck for his disabled SUV, when Raja approached him dressed in plain clothes while working on a car burglary operation at 3:15 a.m.During questioning, Raja said he first thought Jones’ Hyundai Santa Fe was abandoned.Ultimately, the jury rejected Raja’s self-defense claim of being threatened at gunpoint after telling Jones he was an officer. He told investigators that he left his badge and police vest in his unmarked van.PBGPD ID officer who shot, killed Corey Jones as Norman Raja; was on duty, in plain clothes, unmarked police vehicle https://t.co/cNBnoBvOhk— WPTV (@WPTV) October 19, 2015 Prosecutors used Jones’ recorded call for roadside assistance to show that Raja acted aggressively by walking toward Jones with a gun while using profanities.Jones, who worked as a Delray Beach city housing inspector, was hit by bullets in each arm, and by a fatal shot that tore through his heart and both lungs. His licensed .380-caliber handgun gun, which prosecutors said he had only for protection, was found 41 yards from his body, and was never fired.Raja was found guilty on two charges. One of the convictions is for manslaughter by culpable negligence, while the other is for attempted first-degree murder, for bullets that missed hitting Jones.Attorney Steven Malone, who is handling the appeal, feels that the appeals court should throw out at least one of the convictions.“Dividing the homicide into two charges, resulting in two convictions and sentences for the same conduct violates” the law, Malone writes.The main claim in Raja’s appeal is a challenge to a ruling by Judge Marx, which had prevented the jury from considering whether the situation was “justifiable use of force by a law enforcement officer” under state law.Prosecutors say the officer was not trying to make an arrest, and therefore should not be protected by that law.They write, “no facts were presented whatsoever which would create a jury question on the issue of whether the defendant was making an arrest at the time he shot and killed Mr. Jones.”“He made a decision to shoot first and ask questions later … disgracing the badge that men and women wear,” the prosecutor added, blasting Raja as a “reckless killer.”John Kazanjian, president of the Palm Beach County Police Benevolent Association, says the union remains 100 percent behind Raja and will continue to pay his legal expenses.last_img read more

No. 17 Syracuse loses 3-point shootout with No. 1 Oregon, 81-64

first_imgOn the first possession of the second quarter, Maeva Djaldi-Tabdi collected an offensive rebound and kicked a pass out to the top of the key to Kiara Lewis for a wide-open, catch-and-shoot 3. Two more 3-pointers on SU’s next pair of possessions meant Lewis had gone on a personal 9-0 run to give the Orange a 24-15 lead, their biggest of the night. “I just took what they gave me,” Lewis, who scored a career-high 23 points, said. By the time Emily Engstler drilled a 3-pointer from the wing three minutes later, SU had attempted 20 3-pointers compared to six field goals from inside the arc. By halftime, Syracuse had gone 7-for-24 from deep and trailed No. 1 Oregon by one. SU made the game a 3-point contest, and it was working. But in the second half, the Ducks (4-0) took the 3 away from No. 17 Syracuse (3-1). By running shooters off the arc and forcing them to drive, Oregon held SU to three makes on 11 3-point shots in the second half. The Ducks, on the other end, sunk the open looks they missed in the first half. Oregon outscored Syracuse 31-16 in the third quarter, sinking 54% of its second-half 3-pointers on its way to a 81-64 win. “We kind of just played in our flow and kind of forgot about all our shots we had missed earlier,” Oregon senior Sabrina Ionescu said. “I think that really helped us and that third quarter was probably the best that we’ve played offensively in a really long time.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textSyracuse head coach Quentin Hillsman tells just about everyone on his team to shoot 3-pointers when they’re open. It’s part of his coaching philosophy. But it was clear SU was taking that message to an extreme in the first quarter, when Djaldi-Tabdi shot three 3-pointers in the first quarter alone. Though the backup center has been working to expand her range, Djaldi-Tabdi entered Sunday’s contest with two prior attempts this year. The Orange shot 12 triples in both the first and second quarters, making seven of them. The combination of a high volume of 3s and a defense that held Ionescu scoreless for nearly 15 minutes led fans in the Carrier Dome to give SU a standing ovation as the team ran into the locker room for halftime. To separate from the Orange after halftime, the Ducks relied on their own 3-point barrage. Oregon head coach Kelly Graves called the Ducks’ first-half offense “stagnant,” but Ionescu opened the floor in the second half by attracting SU defenders into the paint like a magnet and dishing to open shooters. Two of the reigning Wooden Award winner’s six assists led to Oregon 3s. Erin Boley (19 points, 5-for-9 from 3) and Satou Sabally (23 points, 4-for-10 from 3) often finished possessions that started with Ionescu, who averages a triple double.“We were just helping too much,” Hillsman said. “We really talked about staying home on penetration. And I give (Ionescu) credit. She did a really good job attacking the paint, drawing our defenders, sucking them in a little bit and making good passes.”  When SU locked down Oregon’s shooters, Ionescu had more space to score inside. Thirty seconds into the third quarter, Ionescu dribbled into Syracuse’s zone and looked to kick out to a shooter, but the Orange zone extended out. So instead, Ionescu, who finished with 19 points, lofted in a floater. To end the third quarter, Sabally sunk a 3-pointer from the right corner while getting fouled. Though the Ducks junior missed her free throw, she followed the shot and collected it, eventually finding Ionescu for a buzzer-beating 3. Six points, all in one possession, gave the Ducks a 16-point lead heading into the fourth quarter.Ionescu said SU didn’t play Oregon any differently in the second half. Instead, the Ducks simply took their offense “to another level.” In total, Oregon went 7-for-13 from 3 in the second half, while SU’s offense sputtered out. Syracuse’s 35 attempts were slightly more than its season average of 29.6, but the Orange shot a worse percentage (28.6%) than their usual 32.5%. At the end of one possession, Lewis had to force a contested pull-up 3, which she airballed. In transition, Digna Strautmane’s catch-and-shoot triple was too strong. With the game decided late in the fourth, Djaldi-Tabdi jab-stepped then shot a 3-pointer from the corner, which clanked off the iron. In the fourth quarter, SU never got within single digits. The Ducks solved the Orange’s 3-point attack and found an effective recipe for SU’s 2-3 zone with deep-balls of their own. That combination pushed SU to 0-18 all-time versus No. 1-ranked opponents and led Hillsman to open his press conference with a statement about how disappointed he was in his team’s third quarter and how moral victories don’t exist.  “There’s some good things offensively in that first half,” Hillsman said. “But at the end of the day, it just wasn’t enough in the second half to win the game.”  Comments Published on November 24, 2019 at 8:44 pm Contact Danny: dremerma@syr.edu | @DannyEmerman Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more