Etheridge makes return to Premier League with Cardiff

first_imgP16.5-M worth of aid provided for Taal Volcano eruption victims — NDRRMC Green group flags ‘overkill’ use of plastic banderitas in Manila Sto. Niño feast With third running Fulham losing to Birmingham, 1-3, earlier on Sunday, Cardiff wrapped up second place with 90 points for the second automatic promotion spot.What made Etheridge’s campaign this season all the more remarkable was the fact that he was signed from third-tier side Walsall initially to serve as back up keeper.But a strong preseason put him in manager Neil Warnock’s plans and although he struggled for a few matches in December, Etheridge regained sharp form in 2018, helping Cardiff to eight straight wins that boosted them to promotion.Shortly after Fulham was relegated from the Premier League in 2014, Etheridge actually struggled to find a club for almost a season until Walsall took a chance on him.Should he keep his position at Cardiff, Etheridge will be the first Southeast Asian to play in the world’s biggest and richest league where the likes of Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton and Tottenham are all seeing action.ADVERTISEMENT Jo Koy draws ire for cutting through Cebu City traffic with ‘wang-wang’ LATEST STORIES “It’s just amazing,” said Etheridge. “The team has been strong all season and to finish it the way we did is just fantastic. You just can’t say a lot right now. It’s just overwhelming. I’m just happy to get over the line today.”The achievement caps an incredible past five weeks for Etheridge, who also helped the Philippine Azkals clinch a spot in the AFC Asian Cup for the first time last March 27.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownCardiff’s qualification hopes actually looked in peril when Etheridge returned as the Welsh club picked up just a point in their next three matches.But the Blue Birds recovered with a couple of wins in their next three matches, putting them in a strong position to gain outright promotion. In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Truck driver killed in Davao del Sur road accident Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding View comments “I’m just looking forward to the challenge,” said Etheridge. “I definitely learned from past experiences and I want to continue improving myself. I don’t think I’ve reached my potential just yet. I just want to play as many games as possible at the highest level.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Filipino international goalkeeper Neil Etheridge completed his remarkable rise from England’s lower leagues back to the English Premier League (EPL) on Sunday after his club, Cardiff City, earned promotion following a goal-less draw with Reading in Cardiff, Wales.But unlike his first stint in the EPL with Fulham where he climbed the ranks from the academy to back up goalkeeper, Etheridge makes his return to the top flight as Cardiff’s bonafide starter, having played 45 of the club’s 46 league matches, keeping 19 clean sheets in the English Championship.ADVERTISEMENT Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Jumapao rolls rare series ‘Stop romanticizing Pinoy resilience’ MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Scientists seek rare species survivors amid Australia flameslast_img read more

Everton line-up v Krasnodar: Martinez to give youth a chance in final group game

first_imgWith qualification to the knock-out stages sealed and the group already won, Everton boss Roberto Martinez will be forgiven for looking beyond Thursday’s final group match against Krasnodar and instead to the Toffees’ next Premier League fixture on Monday.Indeed, given his comments during his pre-match press conference, that is exactly what Martinez is doing, with the Spaniard having named a majority of his starting line-up, while also confirming that he will select some of the club’s up-and-coming youngsters to make up the rest of his squad.Martinez insisted though that he is selecting an ‘experimental’ side that he believes is capable of winning the contest, without devaluing the competition too much.Nearly all of his preferred first XI will be handed some well deserved rest, with the likes of Chelsea’s on-loan star Christian Atsu, the recently returned Arouna Kone and squad players Antolin Alcaraz and Steven Pienaar making up the core of his side.Below is how Everton could line-up: 1 Beyond Everton’s established stars, the players to keep and eye out for are Tyias Browning, Luke Garbutt, Conor McAleny and Ryan Ledson.20-year-old Browning is celebrating his 10th year at the club and is widely regarded as the eventual replacement for Sylvain Distin and made his senior debut as a second half substitute in September’s Merseyside derby.Garbutt is a highly-rated full-back, although his versatility has seen him operate in midfield as well.McAleny has been confirmed as a feature against Krasnodar and has been lauded for his pace and goal scoring exploits, while Ledson is the youngster of the quartet, with the club holding extremely high hopes for the 17-year-old midfielder. 1 Roberto Martinez will field and experimental side last_img read more

Portugal PM defends Ronaldo amid rape accusation

first_imgLisbon (Portugal), Oct 7 (AP) Portuguese Prime Minister Antonio Costa has spoken out in defense of soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo, who has been embroiled in a rape accusation.Speaking to television on the Spanish island of Lanzarote on Saturday, Costa made an appeal to the presumption of innocence, as well as Ronaldo’s successful career.”People need to understand one and for all that there’s one thing that is presumption of innocence,” Costa said.”It is not enough for someone to be accused of something to be guilty of it.”Costa added: “If there’s something we have proof of is that he is an extraordinary professional, an extraordinary sportsman, an extraordinary footballer, and someone who has honored and given prestige to Portugal, and certainly what we all wish for is that nothing can ever stain that record of Ronaldo.”Last week, Kathryn Mayorga filed a civil lawsuit in the U.S. saying she was raped by Ronaldo in Las Vegas in 2009. Police have re-opened an investigation.Ronaldo has denied the accusation.Ronaldo’s Italian club Juventus sent a statement of support and called him a “great champion,” but his sponsors Nike and video game maker EA Sports have expressed concern about the allegation.Ronaldo is Europe’s all-time leading scorer in international matches. He helped Portugal win the European Championship in 2016. (AP) DIPDIPlast_img read more