Jon Miller, June 27

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest We are about half done harvesting the wheat. The first 80 acres of wheat we did was extremely wet but we ran it anyway. It seems like that freeze in May maybe affected how it matured but didn’t really affect the yield. We had some a little above 30% moisture. Most of it ran between 25% and 30% in that field. Then we had that rain last week and got anywhere from two to three inches on about all of our fields. We started with wheat again then on Saturday and the moisture was still in the upper 20s. The lowest was about 18% yesterday.We got between a quarter- and a half-inch overnight. We may start mowing straw this afternoon and running wheat again later today. The second half should go faster and it looks like we have a good forecast this week.The first couple of wheat loads had decent test weight and quality. The yield was better than expected after that cold snap we had this spring and the bale count on the first 80 acres has been extremely high. It seems like the variety we are in now is about 10 bushels below the earlier wheat we harvested. I think overall the yield ought to be above average and if the quality stays it should be a decent year for wheat.We were losing yield on the corn before we got that rain. Even though we had two or three inches, it came so fast that a lot of it ran off. We’ll take anything we can get as dry as we were. On some of the lighter banks the corn was turning a whitish purple. It was curled tight before that rain came through.We were able to plant our first double-crop beans last week and the first 25 acres are already out of the ground. The calendar is still on our side, but if it hadn’t rained, planting double-crops would be questionable for some of our fields.So far, weed control has been OK but we are finding a lot of little marestail coming up in the wheat. We are planting some Liberty beans for double-crops to help control the marestail after the wheat.last_img read more

Note ban was instant, why not Ram Mandir, asks Uddhav Thackeray

first_imgTaking pot shots at coalition partner Bharatiya Janata Party, Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray on Saturday questioned why the decision on building the Ram Mandir at Ayodhya was hanging fire when the move to demonetise was effected instantly.Mr. Thackeray was speaking here after a meeting of the Sena’s western Maharashtra unit leaders and party workers to assess poll preparedness.“While the demonetisation decision was taken so quickly, why has the work on Ram Mandir not commenced yet. They [the BJP] had promised it would begin before the elections. Going by the tardy pace, the question is which elections, the 2019 or 2050?” asked Mr. Thackeray.He further accused the BJP of dragging its feet on other vital policy matters like the repudiation of Article 370 of the Constitution and the Uniform Civil Code.“There appears to be no discussion on such important issues now. They appear to have been relegated to the backburner,” said the Sena chief, while demanding to know why the BJP failed to take a clear stance on these matters. He also issued thinly-veiled rebukes to the BJP over the recent controversy over distribution of the Bhagavad Gita to students in select colleges in Mumbai.“This move was taken to cover up the widespread mismanagement prevailing in the University of Mumbai, right from delayed exams to paper leaks. Students today need to be given education relevant to modern times; instead of trying to resolve urgent issues, the State Education Department wants to distribute copies of the Bhagavad Gita,” he said.The Sena president reiterated his party’s opposition to the Nanar Refinery project in Ratnagiri.“Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has assured that it [Nanar project] will not be imposed if the locals are opposed to it. His assurances notwithstanding, we are with the people of the Konkan region and we shall not allow it to come up,” Mr. Thackeray said.On Mumbai roadsAt the same time, he parried a question on the number of deaths due to potholes in Mumbai and the deplorable condition of roads in the city following heavy showers. “Civic infrastructure and maintenance and repair of roads is everybody’s responsibility,” said Mr. Thackeray, whose party controls the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation.last_img read more

Short-handed Bolts rally to thwart Fuel Masters

first_imgDon’t miss out on the latest news and information. NATO’s aging eye in the sky to get a last overhaul “We had to deal with a lot of adversities in this game and we really needed to get a win, especially after coming off a loss,” added the multi-titled coach, who didn’t mind playing his remaining players extended minutes with an 18-day break coming their way.Garvo Lanete fired 14 points in the third period and finished with 27, effectively plugging the holes created by the absence of Baser Amer and Mike Tolomia as the Bolts completed a rally from as big as 15 points down to rise to 5-1.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games openingAmer, a prime candidate for the Most Improved Player of the year award who has stepped up to become the team’s best point guard, and Tolomia, whom Black described as his second best point guard, are both in Kuala Lumpur playing for Gilas Pilipinas in the Southeast Asian Games.Aside from his two guards, Black also missed his best defender in Cliff Hodge, which meant that the Bolts were “not strong defensively,” allowing Phoenix to nearly get away with a victory. LATEST STORIES Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong protesters Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Pagasa: Storm intensifies as it nears PAR Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Brown, though, missed the potential game-tying basket as time expired.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next SEA Game: Active PH Volcanoes ready to eruptcenter_img Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim The next Meralco game will be on Sept. 6 against sister team TNT KaTropa, and that game would mean a seat in the playoffs should the Bolts escape with a win.“Good thing is that all three of them will be back for our next game,” Black said as Allen Durham chipped in his share with 33 points 16 rebounds and seven assists. Chris Newsome and Reynel Hugnatan also finished in twin digits with a combined 33.Phoenix paraded a new import in Brandon Brown and almost hammered out a victory.But the Fuel Masters, who broke in Jeff Chan after acquiring the left-handed gunslinger from Rain or Shine just over a week ago, couldn’t hold on to a 77-62 lead late in the third quarter and went down for the fourth straight game after a 2-0 start.Brown, playing in lieu of the injured Eugene Phelps, finished with 38 points, while Chan wound up with 27 in his biggest offensive game of the season.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ PBA IMAGESShort on personnel but long in determination, Meralco rebounded from its first loss in the PBA Governors’ Cup on Friday night by pulling off what coach Norman Black feels is as the Bolts’ most satisfying win yet.“It was just an incredible effort from my guys tonight,” Black said after the Bolts—with three aces out of the roster—carved out a come-from-behind 107-104 win over Phoenix Petroleum to creep closer to a playoff berth at Smart Araneta Coliseum in Cubao.ADVERTISEMENT View commentslast_img read more

Montreal moves to reduce carbon footprint phase out heating oil by 2030

first_imgMONTREAL — The City of Montreal says it will move to ban the use of heating oil by 2030 as it seeks to reduce its carbon footprint.Mayor Valerie Plante announced this week the city will have completed its conversion of municipal buildings by 2021 and will introduce a bylaw next year forbidding oil-burning furnaces in new construction.Owners of existing commercial, industrial, institutional and residential buildings with oil-burning furnaces will have until 2030 to convert to a renewable energy source.While the exact number of furnaces affected isn’t known, the city says fuel oil represents 28 per cent of carbon emissions from the city’s residential sector and about 14 per cent of emissions from commercial and institutional sources.It’s the latest in a series of anti-pollution announcements the city has made, including a bylaw on wood-burning stoves that came into effect last Oct. 1.That law only allows fireplaces and wood stoves that meet strict emissions standards and forbids their use altogether during smog alerts.Last week, the city said it would introduce a bylaw next year banning single-use items such as plastics and polystyrene foam containers on its territory.The Canadian Presslast_img read more