Man freed of attempting to murder father-in-law

first_imgAlthough not represented by legal counsel, Sudesh Rambhajue, who was on trial in the High Court for attempting to murder his father-in-law Latchman Narine Persaud at School Street, Vergenoegen, East Bank Essequibo nearly three years ago, has been acquitted of the charge by a 12-member jury on Thursday.Sudesh Rambhajue is now a free manAfter several hours of deliberation, the jury returned the unanimous verdict of not guilty.Rambhajue on Tuesday led his defence, in which he claimed that his father-in-law had attacked him first. Rambhajue had been indicted on the first count for the attempted murder of his father-in-law, which occurred on September 18, 2015. He was facing a second count of felonious wounding.Justice Brassington Reynolds thanked Prosecutor Seeta Bishundial for conducting the case in a professional manner, while the former accused thanked the jury for its verdict. The judge told Rambhajue that the case was closed call for him, and urged him to avoid trouble and acquire stable employment.According to reports surrounding the matter, Narine Persaud claimed to have been attacked by the suspect after he had asked him to move out of his house. Persaud explained that after Rambhajue had ignored his request, he sought to repeat it when he saw the man approaching his home on the evening in question. Narine Persaud reported that Rambhajue became annoyed, and stabbed him before fleeing the scene.last_img read more

Rally organizers seek LAPD reform

first_imgAnd Bratton also announced he was promoting Cmdr. Sergio Diaz, a 30-year LAPD veteran, to replace Deputy Chief Caylor “Lee” Carter at the 1,700-member Central Division. “I will do the best job possible for all the people who live and work at Central Bureau, as well as all of the officers and personnel there,” said Diaz, whose previous assignments have included Internal Affairs and Special Operations. Carter, who was the senior officer in MacArthur Park when violence broke out, was demoted Monday to commander and indefinitely assigned to home duty earlier this week. Cmdr. Louis Gray, Carter’s second-in-command, was reassigned to the Operations Bureau. Also Tuesday, civil-rights attorney Steven Yagman announced that he’d filed a federal civil and class-action suit accusing the LAPD of engaging in racketeering during the May 1 event and seeking $10 million in damages. He claims his client, Geoffrey Baker, suffered a broken jaw when he was struck by police as they tried to clear the park of demonstrators. A week after an immigration rally erupted in violence, organizers called Tuesday for reform within the LAPD and Chief William Bratton announced a replacement for the deputy chief who was in charge during the May 1 clash. The Police Commission hearing was the first opportunity for the civilian panel to question Bratton about the melee at MacArthur Park. But Los Angeles Police Department critics and immigration advocates packed the chambers, blasting the department and renewing their concerns about police brutality. “If the LAPD acts like this in broad daylight, what do they do at night?” asked Georgina Lopez, drawing loud applause from a packed audience. But LAPD and Police Commission officials repeated previous promises to conduct thorough and unbiased investigations of the altercation, which capped a day of peaceful demonstrations for immigrants’ rights. The Police Commission hearing had originally been scheduled to hear Bratton’s bid for a second, five-year term, but last week’s clash knocked it off the agenda. In fact, several critics said during the hearing that Bratton should be fired. “I am sorry, chief, it is time for you to go,” said Lenore Solis, a member of the LAPD Hispanic Forum, who accused Bratton of being insensitive to the city’s growing Latino community. Meanwhile members of several immigrant-rights groups that planned the morning May Day rally are organizing a June 24 rally at Hollywood Boulevard and Vine Street to show they are not intimidated by police and will refocus on immigration reform. “All of us are united in expressing in the clearest voice possible that our community will not be intimidated into inaction,” said Jose Gutierrez of Latino Movement USA. rachel.uranga@dailynews.com (818) 713-3741last_img read more

Valencia set to hijack Everton’s move for Arsenal star?

first_img David Ospina Valencia are plotting to hijack Everton’s move for Arsenal goalkeeper David Ospina.The Gunners shotstopper recently revealed his interest in joining the Toffees this summer after falling behind Petr Cech and Wojciech Szczesny in the goalkeeping stakes at the Emirates.The Colombian Copa America star is on the radar of Blues boss Roberto Martinez but now La Liga side Valencia want to bring the 26-year-old to the Mestalla.It has been revealed by Super Deporte that Los Che boss Nuno Espirito Santo is preparing a loan swoop for Ospina this week to jump ahead of Everton in the race to land the former Nice star.Ospina, who joined Arsenal last summer and has three years remaining on his deal with Arsene Wenger’s men, is reportedly happy in London but is seeking regular first-team football next term.Everton are keen to bolster competition in the goalkeeping ranks at Goodison Park with Tim Howard and Joel Robles being the club’s only two recognised keepers. 1last_img read more