Leeds showed spirit, says Monk

first_imgGarry Monk believes Chris Wood’s last-minute equaliser against Fulham proved his Leeds team does have spirit.Whites boss Monk praised his side’s late comeback to earn a first point of the season after two opening Championship defeats.He said: “I’m delighted for Woody. That goal and his mentality epitomised the spirit in the group and what we did in those last 10 minutes.“After losing on Saturday we could have felt sorry for ourselves, and Woody missed a chance just before and could have felt sorry for himself.“But we spoke about desire and spirit right until the end and I’m very pleased for my players.“It can be a big boost for everyone and it will give Woody a lift as well – strikers love to score goals.”Monk felt his side were worthy of the draw, Wood’s goal cancelling out Tom Cairney’s opener for the Whites earlier in the second half.““I thought it was an even game, both teams had periods,” the Leeds boss said.“You could see they were confident from the start they’d had and we had to adjust to them, which we did.“We’ve probably had a season’s worth of ups and downs in the first three games but it’s experience for this young group and you could see their spirit in the changing room afterwards.“That last 10 minutes on the pitch was what I was looking for.”Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

Live updates: Warriors vs. Lakers, Thursday at 7:30 p.m.

first_imgJoin us Thursday at 7:30 p.m. for live news and analysis when the Warriors face the Lakers in Los Angeles as LeBron James remains sidelined.The Warriors (53-24) take a Magic Number of 3 into the game and need a combination of three Warriors wins or Denver losses to clinch the top seed in the Western Conference. Golden State has just five games remaining in the regular season.The Lakers (35-43) have long been eliminated from the playoff hunt and will finish their highly disappointing …last_img read more

Cricket test to mark 20 Years of Freedom

first_img27 FebruaryThe third test match between South Africa and Australia, which gets under way at Newlands Stadium in Cape Town on Saturday, will form part of the country’s 20 Years of Freedom celebrations, the Department of Sport and Recreation said on Wednesday.A number of activities have been lined up around the test, starting on Friday with a coaching clinic at Khayelitsha Cricket Club, where 150 learners from the area will have an opportunity to interact with 15 coaches.Former cricketing greats including Gary Kirsten, Paul Adams, Monde Zondeki, and Peter Kirsten will be in attendance, along with players from provincial side the Cape Cobras.Three-hundred learners from selected schools will be transported to the stadium to watch the test match on the fourth and fifth days.Freedom PlaqueOn Saturday, Sport and Recreation Minister Fikile Mbalula will hand over a 20 Years of Freedom plaque to Cricket South Africa, the Australian Cricket Association, and Proteas’ great Jacques Kallis.On Sunday, there will be a gala dinner with 200 former cricket players and administrators to celebrate Kallis, who retired from test cricket after South Africa’s series against India in December. The dinner will also celebrate Cricket South Africa’s achievements.OptimisticMeanwhile, the Proteas’s recent 231-run win over Australia, which levelled the three-test series at 1-1, has left the squad in an optimistic mood ahead of the series decider.Proteas coach Russell Domingo said the positive energy has given his squad the edge heading into the deciding test.‘Winning is important’“A breakfast area a day after winning a cricket game and losing one are two totally different areas,” Domingo told the media on Wednesday afternoon. “Winning is important, no matter how you try not to emphasise the importance of winning because you want to focus on your processes.“The general vibe around the team after a good win has so much more energy than after a loss. There is a lot of tension after a loss, reflection and what-ifs, but after you win you try and emphasise the reasons you have been successful.“There is a good energy around the side; guys know that they have played more to their potential, probably not their best, but to their potential in the last test match.”FieldingUnusually for the South African team, a key department that they will have to improve on to perform at their clinical best will be the fielding, which has been a let-down in the first two matches.“We always pride ourselves in our fielding,” Domingo said. “We have generally fielded well and taken some great catches, but it’s like everything else in the game, if you put one or two down there is always a little bit of anxiety around it.”Last Newlands meetingThe Proteas held their first training session at Newlands on Wednesday afternoon, the same venue where they famously dismissed Australia for only 47 in their second innings in November 2011. Although the current Australian team contains many of the players involved in that game, which South Africa won by eight wickets, Domingo said memories of the match wouldn’t be a major concern for the visiting team.“I don’t think it makes too much difference,” Domingo said of the scarring. “They have played great cricket between that test match and over the last few months. I’m sure they will probably look at the highlights over the next couple of days and see what happened. There will be a little bit of anxiety, but that is part of it.”Warner’s allegationsDomingo also commented on David Warner’s jibes at the Proteas, in which the outspoken Australian opener suggested that the South Africans had deliberately scuffed the ball in Port Elizabeth to create more reverse swing, and described the allegations as “disappointing”.“It’s always a bit disappointing when guys throw those sort of accusations around,” Domingo admitted. “We are a seriously motivated team and I suppose he has added 10% towards our motivation levels after the comments he has made.“We pride ourselves on playing the game as openly and as honestly, so those comments have definitely motivated us.”SAinfo reporter and Cricket South Africalast_img read more

Pakistan’s Mystery Abductions: Slain Salman Taseer’s son Shahbaz still remains untraceable

first_imgPolicemen inspect the car that Shahbaz Taseer was driving when he was abducted in Lahore.Shahbaz Taseer, the billionaire son of slain Punjab governor Salman Taseer noticed the black Landcruiser and motorcycle shadowing him around 10 a.m. on August 26. By then, it was too late. Four unidentified men dragged the,Policemen inspect the car that Shahbaz Taseer was driving when he was abducted in Lahore.Shahbaz Taseer, the billionaire son of slain Punjab governor Salman Taseer noticed the black Landcruiser and motorcycle shadowing him around 10 a.m. on August 26. By then, it was too late. Four unidentified men dragged the 28-year-old out of his shiny two-seater Mercedes sports car in Lahore’s posh Gulberg area and bundled him into their vehicle. They tossed his laptop and mobile phones back into the Mercedes roadster before driving away.Police said Shahbaz was driving to his office in Gulberg without his usual police escort. A Taseer family driver later spotted the Mercedes parked in the middle of the road, doors ajar. No group claimed responsibility for the sensational kidnapping and no ransom call was made. A high-ranking law enforcement official told India Today on condition of anonymity that Shahbaz was kidnapped by intelligence agencies as they “doubted his loyalty” to the nation. The agencies have, in the past, illegally detained people on mere suspicion.Shahbaz Taseer was kidnapped on August 26Kidnapping for ransom has now spilled over from Karachi, Peshawar and the lawless tribal areas of Pakistan, to enter Lahore. Children, tourists and middle or upper class Pakistanis and businessmen are common targets for ransom that range from Pakistani Rs 20 lakh to Rs 10 crore.Shahbaz’s is the third high-profile kidnapping in the past two months. A Swiss couple, Divid Oliver Och and Daniela Widmer, were abducted from their camping van in Quetta on July 1, allegedly by gunmen belonging to the Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP). An American aid official, Warren Weinstein, 70, was also kidnapped from his Lahore home by six assailants on August 13. No ransom calls were made in any of these cases. This has led to speculation of political motives behind the kidnapping.advertisement”The agencies abducted more than a hundred innocent people during the Pervez Musharraf era and the practice continues,” says Amna Janjua, chairman of an NGO, Defence of Human Rights. Janjua’s husband, Masood Janjua, an educationist, went missing in May 2005. Janjua claims he has been detained by security agencies.Swiss couple Daniela Widmer and Dividoliveroch were abducted from their camping van in Quetta on July 1.However, the Federal Investigation Agency and police have claimed that they have arrested a dozen suspects and are pursuing investigations into the Shahbaz kidnapping. Some theories linked the abduction to extremists who are seeking the release of Shahbaz’s father’s assassin, Malik Mumtaz Qadri, now lodged in Adyala jail in Rawalpindi. Shahbaz was a vocal critic of Pakistan’s harsh anti-blasphemy laws. An official of Pakistan’s Investigation Bureau said three of the arrested suspects belong to the banned Jamaat-ud-Dawa group, a charity arm of the Lashkar-e-Toiba, and frequently visited Qadri in prison.”Shahbaz’s kidnapping is an eye-opener. Where are the government, law enforcement agencies and intelligence agencies?” said a member of the Taseer family on condition of anonymity. “The government has failed to safeguard the lives and property of people,” she added.Shahbaz took over as the director of the family’s businesses, founded by his father, following the latter’s assasination on January 4. They include real estate firm Pace Pakistan, brokerage firms First Capital Equities and First Capital Securities Corporation, as well as Media Times that controls the leading English newspaper Daily Times, Urdu Daily AajKal, kids channel Wikkid Plus and satellite channel Business Plus. He and his wife Maheen Ghani were offloaded from a New York-bound flight at San Francisco on August 19 last year when a hoax caller said they were potential hijackers. The couple filed a lawsuit against the airline in March this year.The kidnapping of the scion has sent a wave of fear and anger across the country, particularly in the ruling PPP, of which Salman Taseer was a member. Prime Minister Syed Yousuf Raza Gilani contacted Shahbaz’s mother and assured her of the government’s support. He directed the Punjab police chief to take all measures to find the missing billionaire. President Asif Ali Zardari also telephoned Shahbaz’s mother and assured her that efforts would be made to find her son. A hurried meeting called by the Chief Minister of Punjab province, Shahbaz Sharif, was attended by the chief secretary, home secretary and inspector general of police. Police have apprehended two suspects who were allegedly shadowing Shahbaz.The case has clearly embarrassed the Punjab provincial police. Chief City Police Officer of Lahore, Malik Ahmed Raza, denied police negligence. He said Shahbaz did not use his security cordon of 17 policemen. Provincial law minister Rana Sanaullah blamed Shahbaz for leaving his security detail at home.advertisementThe Crime Investigation Branch says that 47 people were kidnapped for ransom last year. Thirteen people were kidnapped in the first three months of 2011. The principal suspects are militant groups who kidnap high value targets, such as businessmen, and use the ransom to purchase arms and ammunition from Afghanistan and Iran.last_img read more