US firm buys SA ATM company

first_img19 August 2009US-based electronic payment processing services company First Data is to acquire CashAxcess, which offers a range of ATM products and services to the South African corporate and retail market, from local investment groups Mvelaphanda and Venfin for an undisclosed sum.CashAxcess, which has operated in South Africa since 2005, provides outsourced ATM services to leading banks in the region, including Absa, Capitec and Mercantile.It also provides ATM delivery and installation, signage, wireless GPRS communication, cash management and replenishment services, ATM monitoring, equipment insurance, sales and marketing and training services, and has 200 ATMs currently deployed across the country.ATM outsourcingAccording to First Data director Estevao Tokata, ATM outsourcing is a growth area within the South African payments market, as banks look to drive more cost efficiencies through their operations.“Increasingly, banks are concentrating on building and providing core banking services to their customers while working with specialist partners such as First Data to enhance the breadth of payment solutions offered to customers,” Tokata said in a statement this week.First Data operates a global ATM business, with networks in the United States, Asia Pacific and across Europe, and also offers ATM outsourcing and deployment solutions for banks and retailers in more than 17 countries around the globe.It has operated in South Africa since 1993, offering a full range of payment services to leading banks and retailers.“We are delighted to welcome the CashAxcess team into the First Data family,” said First Data international emerging markets vice-president George Zafirakis.“The combination of their considerable ATM expertise and knowledge of the local business environment, coupled with First Data’s scale and global experience, will ensure we can deliver an enhanced service to clients in South Africa.”SAinfo reporterWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo materiallast_img read more

Jon Miller, June 27

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest We are about half done harvesting the wheat. The first 80 acres of wheat we did was extremely wet but we ran it anyway. It seems like that freeze in May maybe affected how it matured but didn’t really affect the yield. We had some a little above 30% moisture. Most of it ran between 25% and 30% in that field. Then we had that rain last week and got anywhere from two to three inches on about all of our fields. We started with wheat again then on Saturday and the moisture was still in the upper 20s. The lowest was about 18% yesterday.We got between a quarter- and a half-inch overnight. We may start mowing straw this afternoon and running wheat again later today. The second half should go faster and it looks like we have a good forecast this week.The first couple of wheat loads had decent test weight and quality. The yield was better than expected after that cold snap we had this spring and the bale count on the first 80 acres has been extremely high. It seems like the variety we are in now is about 10 bushels below the earlier wheat we harvested. I think overall the yield ought to be above average and if the quality stays it should be a decent year for wheat.We were losing yield on the corn before we got that rain. Even though we had two or three inches, it came so fast that a lot of it ran off. We’ll take anything we can get as dry as we were. On some of the lighter banks the corn was turning a whitish purple. It was curled tight before that rain came through.We were able to plant our first double-crop beans last week and the first 25 acres are already out of the ground. The calendar is still on our side, but if it hadn’t rained, planting double-crops would be questionable for some of our fields.So far, weed control has been OK but we are finding a lot of little marestail coming up in the wheat. We are planting some Liberty beans for double-crops to help control the marestail after the wheat.last_img read more

5 U.P. policemen held guilty of torturing man to death

first_imgA Delhi court has held five Uttar Pradesh police personnel and a property dealer guilty of torturing a broker’s friend to death at Noida’s Sector 20 police station in 2006.The accused police personnel, in connivance with the property dealer, had arrested the victim at his house on the charge of robbery on a complaint.Plaint by victim’s fatherThe police had lodged a case in the matter on a complaint by the victim’s father. The case was earlier tried by a Gautam Budh Nagar court. The Supreme Court later transferred it to the Delhi court stating that “free and fair trial of the case will not be possible within the State [Uttar Pradesh], more so because the accused are members of the police force.”Holding the accused guilty of kidnapping and beating the victim to death with the knowledge that it would lead to his death, Additional Sessions Judge Sanjeev Kumar Malhotra said, “It has been proved beyond reasonable doubt that accused sub-inspectors Hindveer Singh, Mahesh Mishra, constables Pradeep Kumar, Pushpender and Haripal Singh, in connivance with accused Kunwar Pal Singh, and in furtherance of their common intention, abducted Sonu alias Somveer from his native village Hazrat Pur and maliciously confined him till he was declared dead knowingly that by confining Sonu illegally they were acting contrary to law as they were apprehending Sonu for involvement in case crime no. 320/06, PS Sector-39, Noida without any evidence or reasonable suspicion against him.” “Not only this, they tortured Sonu while he was in their custody knowingly that by such beatings/torture they are likely to cause death of Sonu,” the judge said.last_img read more

SBP starts forming best PH team for 2018 Fiba 3×3 World Cup

first_imgBrace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Read Next Do not bring these items in SEA Games venues “It’s very heartwarming because without naming names, we’re getting a lot of volunteers from the PBA, especially from those who have already played 3×3 here and abroad. We at SBP pride ourselves that everyone who played 3×3 have improved when they returned to their mother teams,” he said.While this year’s World Cup is not a qualifier for any major tournaments, it is a good test for Filipinos ahead of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, where 3×3 basketballl will be played for the first time. Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH BI on alert for illegally deployed OFWs to Iraq John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding 8th Top Leaders Forum assessed the progress of public-private efforts in building climate and disaster resilient communities MOST READ Asian shares slide on weak Japan data; US markets closedcenter_img LATEST STORIES “We’re looking at being able to field the best team we can field. The 3×3 game is very different from the 5-on-5, so we expect to do well in this coming tournament,” said SBP executive director Sonny Barrios in the event launch Thursday at Bonifacio High Street.“We still don’t have a team. We will have to sit down. We have been talking about this for the past week also. Coach Eric Altamirano has been the one in charge of the 3×3 program of our national team. But coach Chot Reyes, as the overall national team head coaches’ leader, will be part of the discussion,” he said.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutLast year, the Philippines finished 11th in the 2017 Fiba 3×3 World Cup in Nantes, France with the team represented by Kiefer Ravena, Jeron Teng, JR Quiñahan, and Jeron Teng.Barrios said that this early, players have already expressed their intentions to be part of the 3×3 team. Ngannou could go from homeless to UFC heavyweight champ Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Officials from the SBP and Fiba launch the logo for the 2018 Fiba 3×3 World Cup. Photo by Randolph B. LeongsonThe Philippines is looking to make waves by parading the best team possible when it hosts the 2018 Fiba 3×3 World Cup on June 8 to 12 at Philippine Arena.With still a few months to go before tournament, the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) is already in the process of coming up with a competitive roster.ADVERTISEMENT Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View commentslast_img read more