OTTAWA – The federal government is set to reveal Canada’s next governor general Thursday with an announcement outside the doors of the Senate.Multiple officials say that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will make the announcement himself, and is expected to be flanked by the new viceregal just as Gov. Gen. David Johnston stood alongside Stephen Harper when he was tapped for the job in 2010.Sources say Trudeau informed the Queen during an audience with her last week of his recommendation to the post.Johnston’s term is set to expire in September, after Harper extended it by two years ahead of the 2015 federal election.The identity of who will replace him has been a closely guarded secret with few in Ottawa in the know about who will become the 29th person to hold the position.Traditionally, the viceregal job rotates between anglophones and francophones, with all indications pointing to a francophone filling the portfolio beginning this fall.
WINNIPEG — A Manitoba Indigenous leader is taking a leave of absence after being accused of sending unwanted messages to a woman.Grand Chief Arlen Dumas of the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs says he did not pursue an intimate relationship with the woman but did message her to provide advice and guidance.In a written statement, Dumas says he apologizes if his actions made the woman feel uncomfortable.The Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs says Dumas is taking a brief leave of absence and will undergo sensitivity training.The Aboriginal Peoples Television Network reported this week that a woman who met Dumas in 2018 connected with him on Facebook.The woman told APTN she chatted with Dumas on Facebook about her job, and alleges that she later began receiving more personal messages from a Facebook account under a different name, which she believed to be Dumas.She said she also began receiving text messages from a phone number she believes belonged to Dumas, asking her to meet privately.Dumas said in the statement Friday that the Facebook account was not his, but he did send messages to the woman.“I did not pursue a relationship of an intimate nature with this woman. I was asked by her for advice and guidance on her path forward. I provided assistance to the best of my professional ability. I messaged her to follow up. I do this on a regular basis with numerous community members, students, and colleagues who often seek out my support.”Dumas said he has always communicated openly with people.“Upon reflection, I realize that this style of open and informal communication may not be suited to the role of grand chief,” he said. “While I was sincerely trying to respond to her requests for support, it is clear from her recent public expression of concern that she did not appreciate our informal message exchange. I apologize if this made her feel uncomfortable.”The Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs said the controversy has become a “media circus” and that Dumas has also suffered personal tragedies. His son, who had cystic fibrosis, died earlier this year.“Despite his many losses, he has not taken off sufficient time to heal with his family,” a statement from the assembly said.“After careful reflection, the grand chief has decided to take a brief leave of absence from his role to heal. During his time away, he also commits to taking active steps to receive counselling for his losses and also engage in professional sensitivity training so that his future communications follow a more formal communication style.”Steve Lambert, The Canadian Press
Iffat Jahan Isha. File PhotoThe Dhaka University authorities on Wednesday withdrew the expulsion of Kabi Sufia Kamal Hall unit president of Bangladesh Chhatra League (BCL) Iffat Jahan Isha.BCL is the student wing of ruling Bangladesh Awami League.The university authorities have also decided to take disciplinary action against 26 female students of the hall over the 11 April incident during which Isha allegedly assaulted some of her fellow students and for which the authorities itself had expelled her.DU authorities have claimed that they took the decision based on a probe body report, but they neither disclosed the report nor disclosed the name of probe body members.DU proctor AKM Golam Rabbani said the decision was taken in a disciplinary board meeting with vice chancellor Md Akhtaruzzaman in the chair on Wednesday.Read More: DU BCL leader expelled for ‘torturing’ quota protesterRabbani claimed that a five-member probe body was formed to investigate the attack on female students at the female dormitory on early 11 April, but the probe body found untrue the allegation of cutting tendon of a student.“The allegation against Isha was that she had cut tendon of a leg of a student, but the hall administration found no veracity of the allegation and that’s why her expulsion order has been withdrawn,” Rabbani told Prothom Alo.When asked about who were the members of the probe body, Rabbani did not give the answer and asked to know it from the hall provost.The hall provost, Sabita Rezwana Rahman, also said a five-strong body investigated the matter, but did not reveal the name of its members. Several students of the hall have expressed their concern over the decision of the authorities. They said Iffat has been involved in torturing students for quite a long time. She harassed some students in the small hours of 11 April for participating in quota reform movement, stirring a huge protest by several hundreds of students in and outside the hall.Read More: DU’s expulsion of Isha unconstitutional: ALThey also alleged that the university authorities are not considering other allegations of torturing the students against Iffat.Students said even if the allegation of cutting tendon of a student is not true, there are several other allegations of torturing quota protesters, but the university authorities did not take it into account. Students in a meeting with provost on 12 April also raised different allegations against Isha of torturing general students.But no one from the DU authorities clarifies their position on the matter. They are also keeping mum about the committee’s stance over these allegations against Iffat. DU authorities also did not confirm the identity of the 26 students, against whom they have decided to take disciplinary action.Announcing his decision of expulsion on 11 April, DU VC Md Akhtaruzzaman had told newsmen, “She [Morsheda] was tortured physically. She was injured. And I verified the allegation from both sides. University proctor and the hall administration too gave me the same statement.“Then I took the decision. As this girl [Isha] has assaulted and injured another girl, she [Isha] is hereby expelled from the university,” the DU VC had added.Read More: DU withdraws expulsion order on BCL leader IshaDU proctor Golam Rabbani also had told newsmen on the day that it’s Isha who had “launched the attack”.“The name of the student who launched the attack is Iffat Jahan Isha. I’ve heard it from herself and she herself beg pardon for that. And then I’ve understood that this crime has taken place here,” Rabbani had said.