The Child Care and Protection Agency (CCPA) says it is currently investigating an incident which saw a Berbice teen being detained by Police for four days last week after an allegation was levelled against her.Concerns were raised by several stakeholders after reports surfaced in the media that a 16-year-old girl, who hailed from Corentyne, Berbice, was locked up in a police station way beyond the 72-hour detention period after being accused of simple larceny.CCPA Director Ann GreeneCCPA Director Ann Greene confirmed on Wednesday that the report on the matter was being prepared as the Agency’s probe continued into the unfortunate incident.Greene, who appeared tight-lipped, said that she would need to receive and review the report before she could disclose any information on the issue.Meanwhile, B Division (Berbice) Commander Lyndon Alves told Guyana Times that a file on the incident has been prepared and will be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) for advice.The teen’s mother, Radikha Udho, related that her daughter was asked to assist an elderly woman from their village. After the teen left, the woman claimed that she could not find her US green card and several other items.Udho recalled that it was while she was at the market that she received a call stating that she needed to visit the Number 51 Police Station after the elderly woman had made a report about the missing items and was accusing her daughter of theft.Udho was requested to take her daughter to the Number 51 Police Station the following Friday, to make a statement, but the teen was subsequently locked up for four days.Further complications arose as the teen was initially placed on $100,000 bail. A senior rank of B Division had stated that the bail that had been set was too excessive and given the circumstances, the officer could have used his discretion. After much deliberation about the excessive amount, the station bail was reduced to $50,000.The officer also mentioned that the matter could have been dealt with differently; he added that if it was necessary that the teenager had to be locked up, it could have been done without her being held for such a long period.
“I want to play European football again and challenge for major honours and as such I would like Southampton to consider the interest in me from top clubs should it still exist.”Van Dijk, 26, has been linked with Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester City.Liverpool publicly dropped their interest in signing him earlier in the close season after Southampton threatened to report them to the Premier League for an illegal approach.Van Dijk revealed he had been fined two weeks’ wages by Southampton and said he would be appealing against the punishment, which he described as “unjustified”.He said he felt “frustrated” and “disappointed” that “enquiries from multiple top clubs have been consistently rebuffed”.He also rejected accusations he had refused to train and said he had been told by new manager Mauricio Pellegrino to train away from the first team due to his unsettled mindset.“As a proud professional I am insulted by the suggestion that it was me who refused to train and so feel it is important to point out the true version of events,” he said.Van Dijk, capped 12 times by the Netherlands, said the saga had “seriously affected” his relationships with people at the club and Southampton’s fans.“I would like to make clear that I have nothing but gratitude to everyone at Southampton for giving me the opportunity to play in the Premier League,” he added.“However, the time for me to move on is now and I hope to be able to work with the club to find the best resolution to suit all parties.”Van Dijk joined Southampton from Celtic in a £13 million ($16.9 million, 14.4 million euros) move in September 2015 and has since emerged as one of the most imposing centre-backs in the Premier League.He signed a new six-year contract in May 2016.He missed the last five months of last season, including Southampton’s 3-2 loss to Manchester United in the EFL Cup final, due to an ankle injury.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Virgil Van Dijk has been left out of the Southampton training squad to France. PHOTO/FILE.LONDON, United Kingdom, Aug 7- Southampton’s in-demand defender Virgil van Dijk has submitted a transfer request, the Netherlands international announced on Monday.“I am incredibly ambitious and want to achieve as much as I possibly can to fulfil my potential in what is a very short career as a professional footballer,” Van Dijk said in a statement released to the media.