Simmons to work with Afghanistan

first_imgLONDON (CMC):Former West Indies head coach, Phil Simmons, has been appointed technical consultant to the Afghanistan national side.The 53-year-old, who played 26 Tests and 143 One-Day Internationals for West Indies, will assist current head coach Lalchand Rajput.”Afghanistan Cricket Board (ACB) management considers Simmons’ appointment a valuable step in players’ capacity development,” an ACB statement said. “His appointment will have a great impact on team performance.”Simmons was sacked as West Indies coach last September, five months after overseeing the side’s capture of an unprecedented second Twenty20 World Cup in India.He is a former Ireland head coach and spent six years in the role before leaving in 2015 to take charge of West Indies.The first assignment for Trinidadian Simmons will be to help oversee Afghanistan’s preparation for a series against Ireland in Greater Noida comprising five One-Day Internationals, three Twenty20s and a four-day ICC Intercontinental Cup fixture.Simmons will then face another of his former teams when the Afghans take on West Indies in five ODIs and three T20s in June in the Caribbean.last_img read more

Southampton’s Van Dijk submits transfer request

first_img“I want to play European football again and challenge for major honours and as such I would like Southampton to consider the interest in me from top clubs should it still exist.”Van Dijk, 26, has been linked with Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester City.Liverpool publicly dropped their interest in signing him earlier in the close season after Southampton threatened to report them to the Premier League for an illegal approach.Van Dijk revealed he had been fined two weeks’ wages by Southampton and said he would be appealing against the punishment, which he described as “unjustified”.He said he felt “frustrated” and “disappointed” that “enquiries from multiple top clubs have been consistently rebuffed”.He also rejected accusations he had refused to train and said he had been told by new manager Mauricio Pellegrino to train away from the first team due to his unsettled mindset.“As a proud professional I am insulted by the suggestion that it was me who refused to train and so feel it is important to point out the true version of events,” he said.Van Dijk, capped 12 times by the Netherlands, said the saga had “seriously affected” his relationships with people at the club and Southampton’s fans.“I would like to make clear that I have nothing but gratitude to everyone at Southampton for giving me the opportunity to play in the Premier League,” he added.“However, the time for me to move on is now and I hope to be able to work with the club to find the best resolution to suit all parties.”Van Dijk joined Southampton from Celtic in a £13 million ($16.9 million, 14.4 million euros) move in September 2015 and has since emerged as one of the most imposing centre-backs in the Premier League.He signed a new six-year contract in May 2016.He missed the last five months of last season, including Southampton’s 3-2 loss to Manchester United in the EFL Cup final, due to an ankle injury.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Virgil Van Dijk has been left out of the Southampton training squad to France. PHOTO/FILE.LONDON, United Kingdom, Aug 7- Southampton’s in-demand defender Virgil van Dijk has submitted a transfer request, the Netherlands international announced on Monday.“I am incredibly ambitious and want to achieve as much as I possibly can to fulfil my potential in what is a very short career as a professional footballer,” Van Dijk said in a statement released to the media.last_img read more